Wednesday, October 05, 2005

Results of Learning Style Questionnaires

After Taking the Kaleidoscope Inventory and the VARK Questionnaire I got some varied results about the type of learning style they said I used the most.

Kaleidoscope Inventory Results:

Under Sensory styles, the questionnaire scored me at a 7 for visual, 5 for Kinesthetic, 2 for Tactual, and 1 for Auditory. The Perceptual and Organizational Styles I was scored a 6 for Concrete, 5 for Sequential, 5 for Global, 3 for Abstract, and 11 under Concrete-Global and Conscrete-Sequential. The Personality Style section rated me 6 for Sensing-Judging, 5 for Sensing-Perceiving, 5 for Intutive-Thinking, and 2 for Intutive-Feeling.

The VARK Questionnaire Results:

The VARK Questionnaire scored me a 4 for Visual, 5 for Aural, 6 for Read/Write, and 4 for Kinesthetic.


After looking at the two different inventory results I can see how it came up with some of the results. I agree with the VARK results as far as how I learn information more than the Kaleidoscope Inventory. After looking over what each of the different learning styles mean and looking back on my learning habits I feel I learn differently depending on what I will need the information for. For example, I learn information both temporarily and long term. One of methods that I use extensively is the Read and Write style to store information into my temporary memory long enough to pass a test or the course. Usually after taking the test that I stored the information for I find myself not being able to remember a large chunk of the information after the course. So when it comes to learning information for the short-term I agree with the VARK results. When it comes to storing information for the long-term, I find that I use more of a Visual Style in combination with a Concrete style. If I am constantly using the information and seeing how it works I find myself being able to remember information longer. For example, when it comes to learning a particular software program like Adobe Photoshop or Macromedia Director, I find it easier to get the basic knowledge of how to use then experiment on my own and use the help section to look up what ever it is I need to know about how to get the program to do what I want it to. Then later on, if I haven't used the program in a while, I can usually open up past projects and remember what I did to get certain results. So when it comes to retaining information for the long term I feel that the Kaleidoscope results are more accurate. There one more learning style that I use when I determine whether the information that I need know for a course should be stored temporarily or long term, and that is by using the Global style to see the "big picture" to determine which route I should go.

No comments: